Youth Employment Project FAQ

YEP Registration is open!     Register

Registrations are processed by the Workforce Alliance of South Central Kansas (WA). The application is open to all young adults over age 14, however, priority and work experience will be given to youth ages 16 and over, and some employers can only place those 18 and older. Additionally, some special funds are available to serve young adults with barriers or who are of low-income status. Please be sure to indicate particular barriers when completing the application.


To register please follow these steps: 

  1. Complete the YEP Registration. Be sure to apply by June 1 or as soon as possible. Many activities, including workshops and job fairs, will begin in May and the sooner registration is received, the sooner the applicant can access other resources.

  2. Please register to attend the YEP Pre-Employment Workshop Series, which is comprised of three workshops. You will earn a badge for each workshop you complete and a Youth Essential Skills Certificate after completing a series of three workshops (Workplace Etiquette, Customer Service and Financial Literacy). Workshops will be held in a one-day session from 9 am – 4 pm with lunch included. Workshops are offered multiple times. Please select the date that is most convenient for you, as you must only attend one 9am – 4pm session. Workshop Registration                 

How old do I have to be to participate in YEP?

Participants must be at least 16 years old by June 1, 2020, to participate in a work experience. The YEP Workshops are open to all applicants, 14 and older. The Workforce Center also operates the WIOA Youth Program for young adults, age 14-24. The WIOA Youth Program offers additional services beyond work experience, for those with barriers to education and employment. Please click here for more information on the WIOA Youth Program.

What documents are required to participate?

To participate in a Work Experience, applicants will need to provide documentation required for employment:

  • If you are aged 14-17, you need any picture ID (not expired), and birth certificate
  • If you are aged 18-24 you need a state-issued ID (i.e., driver’s license or state ID card)
  • All applicants must have a Social Security card (must be signed by you)
  • In addition, if you are a male age 18 or older, you must register with Selective Services at and bring a copy of the document

What are the next steps in the process?

After completing the and YEP Registration, WA staff will screen for completeness and accuracy. Applicants will be informed about YEP workshops and job fairs via the email address provided in the application and contacted for further programs or match any employer requests.

Applicants who have completed the online application and KANSASWORKS account will be sent information to sign up for YEP Youth Essential Skills Workshops and Job Fairs.

What if I am not chosen to participate in an internship?

All applicants 14 and older with completed applications on file can enroll in the YEP Workshop series and earn a Youth Essential Skills Certificate. YEP Work Experience placements are for applicants 16 and over. After attending the YEP Workshops, many individuals are able to find jobs on their own or by attending a YEP job fair. Others will be identified for potential work experiences through YEP based on employer and interest matches.

Applicants not selected for YEP placements can continue with job search and have direct contact with hiring employers through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) at any Workforce Center. This includes resume writing and interviewing workshops, various job search training sessions as well as receive information about job postings and hiring events.

When will YEP start/end?

YEP will start with workshops offered March through June. Most employment will begin hiring in June and end in August. Each employer manages their own positions, so some positions will vary.

Click here for more information on the City of Wichita Way to Work Program

Click here for more information on the YMCA Job Prep Program

What kind of training will I receive?

All participants will be required to participate in YEP pre-employment workshops prior to being considered for a work experience position.

YEP Workshops will provide a Youth Essential Skills Certificate. The curriculum is designed to teach business etiquette, customer service, money handling and address the unspoken rules of the workplace. Young adults will earn a badge for each workshop they complete and a Certificate after completing a series of three workshops (Essential Skills, Customer Service and Financial Literacy). Workshops can be taken separately or together as a two-day session (times listed below). Workshops begin in March and include:

  • Workplace Etiquette
  • Customer Service
  • Resume & Interview Skills
  • Financial Literacy

Do I get paid for training/workshop attendance?

Participants are not paid for workshop attendance. They are only paid once they begin a work experience placement. If participants attend the entire YEP Workshop series, including all three workshops, they will earn a Youth Essential Skills Certificate, which can be listed as an accomplishment on their resume.

What kind of job will I get?

There are several industry clusters applicants can indicate interest in working in, and YEP will try to match career interests with available placements. Most placements are 20 hours per week or less and last eight weeks or less.

  • Banking or Finance
  • Clerical or Office
  • Customer Service or Retail
  • Food Service or Hospitality
  • Healthcare
  • Information Technology
  • Janitorial or Maintenance
  • Manufacturing (for ages 16-19)
  • Construction (majority of placements must be 18 years old order)

YEP has designed the summer experience to support long-term career interests. Applicants are asked to choose the area of employment that interests them the most, and that would allow them to gain the most experience from. Some summer employment can turn into permanent employment for youth that show potential and work hard.

How far away will my job be?

The WA attempts to assist with job opportunities near the applicant’s home zip code and take factors like transportation into consideration when making placement to ensure participants will not have a problem getting to and from their job site, and won’t have to travel in the dark if taking the bus. If reliable transportation is an issue, applicants should indicate it as a barrier on the application so YEP staff can work to assist them.

How much will I earn?

Positions pay a minimum of $7.25 per hour. Some employers may pay higher based on industry and experience. This will be discussed with the participant as they job search.

Additional Information about the Workforce Centers

Where are the Workforce Centers located and what are the office hours?

Wichita Workforce Center
2021 N. Amidon, Suite 1100
Wichita, KS 67203

Tel: 316-771-6800
Hours: Monday – Thursday 8:00 to 5:00, Friday 9:00 to 5:00

Butler Workforce Center
524 N. Main,
El Dorado, KS 67042

Tel: 316-321-2350
Hours: Monday – Thursday 8:00 to 1:00 and 2:00 to 5:00

Cowley Workforce Center
108 E. 12th Avenue
Winfield, KS 67156

Tel: 620-221-7790
Hours: Monday and Wednesday 9:00 to 12:00 and 1:00 to 4:00

Sumner Workforce Center
314 N. Washington
Wellington, KS 67152

Tel: 620-326-2659
Hours: Tuesday and Thursday 8:30 to 12:00 and 1:00 to 4:30

How do I register on KANSASWORKS?

  • Visit
  • Click on “Job Seekers”
  • Click on “Create a Job Seeker Account”
  • Follow instruction in setting up a job seeker account and enter required information

If you have previously created a job seeker account on KANSASWORKS, please review and update your information by visiting If you have trouble with the steps above and need assistance please visit a Workforce Center.

What if I don’t have a computer?

There are several options if you do not have a computer:

  • Use an available computer at one of our Workforce Centers in South Central Kansas
  • Use an available computer at one of our Access Points in South Central Kansas. The Workforce Center has established partnerships with community organizations to provide access to services close to job seekers. Kiosk locations offer computers with internet access to and and other job search appropriate websites as well as printed resources for job seekers. Customers utilizing Access Points must abide by the processes determined by the organization granting access.

The following locations have been established as Certified Access Points:

Andover City Hall (Kiosk)
1609 E. Central Ave.
Andover, KS, 67002

Atwater Neighborhood Resource Center (Kiosk)
2755 E. 19th St. N.
Wichita, KS, 67214

Clearwater Public Library (Kiosk)
109 Ross Ave.
Clearwater, KS, 67026

Colvin Neighborhood Resource Center (Kiosk)
2820 S. Roosevelt St.
Wichita, KS, 67210

Evergreen City Hall (Kiosk)
2700 Woodland. N.
Wichita, KS, 67204

Dress for Success
142 N. High
Wichita, KS, 67203

Goddard Public Library (Kiosk)
201 N. Main St.
Goddard, KS, 67052

Harper Public Library (Kiosk)
708 W 14th St.
Harper, KS, 67058

Maya Angelou NE Branch Library (Kiosk)
3051 E 21st N.
Wichita, KS, 67214

Open Door (Kiosk)
402 E. 2nd St N
Wichita, KS, 67202

Urban League of Kansas (Kiosk)
2418 E. 9th St. N
Wichita, KS, 67214

Complete the application from any Public Library, Public School, church or any computer with internet access.

How do I update my contact information?

You may update your contact information at any time. All you have to do is:

  1. Go into your KANSASWORKS account ( with your login and password information,
  2. Click the My Profile icon on the left side menu bar and submit any changes that need to be updated.
  3. Save your changes

Remember that it is very important to keep your contact information up to date so we can contact you regarding the status of your application. You will be contacted on the primary phone number and email listed in your account.

Where can I get a photo ID and how much does it cost?

For Wichita residents there is a DMV office located at 1823 W 21st St N, Wichita, KS 67203, directly across the street from the Wichita Workforce Center. Average fee for a first time license is $24.

Here are other resources:

Where can I get a social security card and how much does it cost?

In Wichita, to get a social security card you must go to the Social Security Administrative Offices, located at 3216 N Cypress St, Wichita, KS 67226. You may also call their toll free number at (866) 931-9173. There is no cost to obtain a social security card. It takes approximately 7 to 10 business days to receive the original copy of the card.

For replacement cards, visit the SSA office or