Since 2012, the Workforce Alliance of South Central Kansas, Kansas Department of Commerce, Kansas Department of Corrections, and Sedgwick County Community Corrections have partnered to leverage and align a Certified Offender Workforce Development Specialist (OWDS) to serve the offender population relocating to the Wichita area and at the Hutchinson Correctional Facility.
This strategy has expanded to the El Dorado and Winfield Correctional Facilities, and additional partners have been identified and similar referrals and strategic efforts have commenced. These partners include:
- Wichita Parole Office
- Wichita Work Release Facility
- US Probation and Pretrial Services
- 18th Judicial District Court Trustees Office
- Sedgwick County Day Reporting Center
- Mirror, Inc.
- American Indian Council
- Union Rescue Mission
- Local Church Prison Ministries
A total of:
- 2,615 offenders attended Workshop/Workforce Orientation
- 1,871 registered on KANSAWORKS.com
- 532 received one-on-one job search assistance and 272 or 51% entered employment